The materials class of ORMOCER® – inorganic-organic hybrid polymers developed at the Fraunhofer ISC 20 years ago – still holds enormous potential for future applications. These hybrid polymers are wet-chemically synthesized by nanotechnology. The know-how for their synthesis as well as for their functionalization and processing has been continuously advanced and ORMOCER®s have already been adapted to match a wide variety of applications.
Properties like transparency, hardness or thermal/chemical stability are determined by the inorganic network. By crosslinking it with an organic network it is possible to adapt properties like toughness, to improve the processability or the functionality. By adding functional groups, further properties can be specifically tailored, including elasticity, surface energy or gas permeability. Their unique adaptability is the major advantage of ORMOCER® materials and renders them attractive for all kinds of technical applications.
Range of applications
- Materials for electrochemical applications and batteries
- Materials for biomedical and dental applications
- Structurable materials for use in optics and photonics
- Protective coatings for polymers, glass, ceramics, paper, metal, etc.
- Functional coatings: anti-reflective, hydrophobic/hydrophilic, antistatic, ultra barrier, decorative
- Structurable materials for use in (nano) biotechnology
- Materials for (micro) electronics
- Biodegradable barrier coatings (new materials class bioORMOCER®)
- Biodegradable inorganic-organic hybrid polymers (ORMOCER®)
- Bonding agents, adhesives
- Membranes, (hollow) fibers, films
- Nanoparticles, core/shell particles
- Find out more about the variation potential of multifunctional silanes as basis for new materials
- Find out more about our materials class of ORMOCER®
- Find out more about our biodegradable bioORMOCER®
- BioORMOCER® for biobased and biodegradable functional coatings
- ORMOCER® coatings with high scratch and abrasion resistance
- UV curable ORMOCER® coatings
- Inorganic-organic hybrid polymers (ORMOCER®s) for micro systems technology
- Thin-film passivation and -insulation of electronic components
- ORMOCER®S – Materials for optical packaging