Today, textiles are more than just garments, bags, sacks or ropes. They may be high-tech materials in technical applications, or geotextiles, or may provide clothing with extra functions or protective qualities. To meet expectations, it is often required to combine several properties in a single product. Up until now, this was only possible by multiple coating of respective fabrics or by using multiple layers of material. Such solutions are time consuming and expensive and may affect the wearing comfort or reduce technical applicability.
Leather is a favorite for clothing, bags, shoes or furniture owing to its special haptic and optical characteristics. But in order to become abrasion-resistant, scratch-resistant, non-fading as well as dirt, oil and water repellent, natural leather has to undergo several surface treatments and coating processes.
Coating system for textiles
InnoSolTEX®– developed by the Fraunhofer ISC with project partners – can provide textiles with multiple features in a single coating. The system’s modular design allows to combine required characteristics:
- Abrasion resistant
- Flame retarding
Benefits at a glance
- Water based
- One single processing step
- Lowers energy and production costs
- Suitable for conventional industrial facilities
- Drying and cross-linking times equal those of conventional methods
Coating system for leather
Leather finishing with a hybrid polymer layer system developed by the Fraunhofer ISC (ORMOCER®) optimizes haptic and optic features while requiring less material. The system offers the following properties:
- Pronounced hydrophobicity in combination with a high degree of water vapour permeability
- Very good scratch resistance, rub fastness and improved wear resistance
- Good heat resistance
- Good lightfastness and UV stability
- Exceptionally good and stable adhesion to leather
- Excellent stability
- Very good preservation of the natural feel and appearance
- Reduces emissions from the leather
Find out more on our website www.barrier.fraunhofer.com.