The Fraunhofer R&D Center Electromobility Bavaria offers materials and components development for today’s and tomorrow’s battery and energy storage systems. We focus on B2B services for lithium-ion (Li-ion) polymer and solid state battery technologies, modern lead-acid (LAB) and high-energy batteries.
Our current materials development aims at improved battery systems in terms of energy density, lifespan, safety, reliability, cycling stability, and production costs.
- Innovative thin-film ceramic electrolytes for more flexibility and higher safety
- New multifunctional hybrid polymers with higher chemical and thermal stability as well as high ionic conductivity serving as bulk electrolyte, binder and separator at the same time
- High energy batteries with greater energy density and enhanced stability
- Modified electrodes (thin-film or core-shell coating) with higher safety and cycling stability
- Improved surface design for greater energy density and a longer lifespan
- Tailored carbon additives to increase cycling stability, mass utilization and charge acceptance
- Materials development and optimization – active materials, electrolytes, separators, additives
- 20 years of experience and a top-notch equipment and infrastructure ensure the ideal matching of materials, components and design for optimum battery performance
- Various wet-chemical coating technologies, starting with prototypes and small batches up to pilot plant scale
- Layer thickness from 100 nm to 1 mm: spray and dip coating, slot-dye coating, tape casting, large and continuous roll-to-roll coating, doctor blade coating
- Manufacturing of various cell types and sizes, powder or liquids, coin (CR2032) and pouch cells (10 A, 140x230 mm²), high precision and reproducibility
Our service to customers
Our services are tailored to the needs and requirements of our customers:
- Development of basic materials and components like innovative electrolytes, electrodes, additives, separators, salts and binders for a better battery performance
- Further development or optimization of existing battery systems
- Modification of surfaces and functional coatings
- Improved cell design (surface and interface)
- Screening, testing, analyses, and characterization of customer-specific materials, components and cell systems
- Cell manufacturing according to customer requirements for prototypes and small batches
Find out more about the Fraunhofer R&D Center Electromobility Bavaria and its work.